Finally the weather is something you can work with! And therefore a perfect time for this post. I have started to make my own homemade ice-cream – a project I have been wanting to start for a long time. It is just more fun when it is not completely grey and rainy outside.
So I actually invested in an inc cream machine. No less. And I have to say that if you really want to do something amazing for yourself, do it! When ice cream is completely(!) fresh like that, it is the most amazing ice cream in the world. Really! And it is so much fun to make your own creations and experiment with the flavors.
I (of course) wanted to try to make a dairy free version, with an untraditional flavor combination. But you can also just make the more traditional ones with cream and milk. It is completely up to you. You just put all of the ingredients in and 45-60 minutes after you have the most amazing creamy ice cream!
Here is the recipe that I came up with. I am honestly quit proud of it, and I am definitely making it again.
Coconut and Sea-salt ice cream
2 canes of full-fat coconut milk
1 tbs honey
1,5 tbs maple syrup
1 tsp of vanilla sugar
1,5 tsp sea-salt flakes (important that it is flakes)
5 tbs of sweetened coco flakes (coconut flour)
2 egg yolks
– First whip the sugar, egg yolks, honey, syrup and 0,5 tsp of the sea-salt together.
– Then add the coconut milk. Whip it till it is completely smooth and lump-free.
– Now, just add everything to an ice-cream maker, and start making the inc-cream
– In the meantime start sweetening your coco-flakes (unless you have bought already sweetened ones. And then I would btw say that it taste so much better to make them yourself, and it is easy). You take half a cup of water and half a cup of sugar (4 spoons) and boil on a frying pan, until the sugar has resolved. Then you take one cup of coconut flakes and fry in the water, until they are golden and the water is completely gone. You might have a bit to much coconut flakes, but you can use the rest as topping (or snack them while you wait for the ice cream to finish).
– 5 minutes before the ice cream has finished, add 1 tsp of sea-salt flakes, and 5 tbs of coconut flakes. Or however much you want. I might have added a few spoons more.
– Let the ice cream finish. Take it out when you feel it has the perfect ice cream structure. AND enjoy.